Sunday, August 24, 2008

Emmett Wilson Kilpatrick..........

is here.
He arrived on August 23rd at 11:17 p.m. He weighed 7lbs and was 19 1/2 inches long. We are so grateful to the Lord for our little man's safe arrival. I haven't uploaded the pictures just yet so this will be the post with the details and the visuals will come later:) I'll try to keep it brief.
I started having contractions on Friday afternoon. They seemed to be somewhat strong and close together. Ross and I were in Auburn so we decided that instead of driving 45 minutes back home, we would drive 5 minutes to the hospital and see if this was the real thing. After about three hours of observation and no progression toward delivery on my part, we decided that I was most likely having Braxton Hicks. The doctor gave me the option of going ahead with an inducement, but I decided to hold off. We got home around 11 p.m. and went to bed. Contractions started again at about 3 a.m. I spent all of Saturday experiencing contractions on and off. Around 4 p.m. they increased in intensity and became regular. We decided to head for the hospital. I forgot to mention that the weather outside was bad. Fay was having her way. Our power went out just as we were leaving. It stormed all the way to the hospital. Our gas light was on and I felt like I had a split personality. The intensity of the contractions by this point was beyond anything I had ever felt during my entire labor and delivery experience with Ellie Kate. During my contractions, I swear my voice would lower and my head would spin. I used the lull between contractions to apologize to Ross for anything that I had said. I wasn't vulgar just firm. We stopped and got gas, a snicker's bar, and coke and then with flashers on we headed for the hospital. Ross dropped me off at the front door. I made my way to the 3rd floor nurses' station. I was taken to the observation room that we had been in the night before. When the nurse checked me I was already 5c.m. and completely thinned out.
Due to a tornado warning, we were unable to move to another room right away. I had to have something like two bags of fluid before I could get an epidural. I basicly went thru all of my labor and received the epidural just prior to delivery. We eventually got to move into the delivery suite. In an attempt to keep those who are pregnant and read this blog encouraged, I will spare readers the details of my labor.
At 11:17 p.m. Ross and I were able to meet our little man. All of those previously mentioned details pale in comparison to that very moment. Emmett is just perfect and Ross and I know that we are very, very blessed to say the least. Due to the time of his arrival, we are functioning on little to no sleep so I hope this post makes any sense whatsoever. We are definitely still at that surreal stage, but we are all healthy and happy. (and we just found out that our power back home is still off----thanks Fay.)
Another post will follow soon with plenty of pictures.
Thank you for your prayers.

8 comments:

nick, robyn and taylor said...

YAY!!! CONGRATULATIONS! I am dying to talk to you but I'll give you a couple of days to get home and settled. Can't wait to see pictures! Please tell Ross hi and congratulations, as well as the rest of your family. I'm so glad he arrived safely and that he and Mommy are doing well!

Love,
Robyn

Jessie said...

Congrats! I am so glad everything went well and you have a healthy little boy! Can't wait to see pictures!

Donna said...

Congratulations! That is so wonderful!!! During my first delivery my epidural didn't work and oh my goodness it was HORRIBLE! I'm so sorry you had all that pain! Glad little man is healthy and beautiful and going to be a good little brother for sissy!

Jennifer said...

Congrats Amy, Ross & Ellie Kate! I'm so excited for you. Jennifer called and left a message with Brian and I checked your blog as soon as I got home! I am so glad to hear that everyone is healthy & happy and I can't wait to meet Emmett! I hope you have power when you get home. Your mom had Ellie Kate in the bank the other day and she is just precious! She really needs to come play with Addie sometime soon!

Hillary @ The Other Mama said...

HOORAH!!! Owen's birthday is August 23rd!!! That's awesome!!We'll have to celebrate together every year!! I can't wait to see the little guy!!
Love you!
Hill

annieck said...

Congratulations, AMY!!! That's wonderful news! Bless your heart, though. What a night!!!
I know it was all worth it, though.
I'm thrilled for you! =)

Yancy and Joy said...

Congratulations, Amy and Ross! We're so excited for you! I'm glad to hear that eveyone is doing well.

Bragans said...

CONGRATS!!! What a way to make his entry into the world! Glad everything is great! He is handsome!!!

Love

Joy