Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Follow up interview with Ellie Kate

And now I sit down to interview my kindergartener first grader (insert tear).

EK: "What are you writing?What did you spell, Mama?"
Me: What was yesterday?
EK:"May 2nd."
Me:"Yesterday was your last day of..."
EK:"Kindergarten...What test are you giving me now? Who are you sending this to?"
Me:"What was your favorite thing about school?"
EK:"We went to summer splash."
Me:"What did you do there?"
EK: "We got to get in sprinklers.Frst we did snack time. Then we did gym class. Then we went to bouncy house. Disco. Playground. Sprinkler. Pool. And back to our classroom."
Me:"Sit down.  What is something that you learned in kindergarten?"
EK: "Um..we learned about the ocean."
Me: "What about it?"
EK: "We learned about all the creatures that live in there. That's all."
Me:"How many days were you in kindergarten?"
EK:"Fer about 24, I mean 25.   My initials are EKK. That's my initials."
Me:"What were your teachers names?"
EK:"Ms. Adams, Ms. Ashley, Ms. Marty, & Ms. Cutler."
Me: "How do you think 1st grade will be different than kindergarten?"
EK:"It's gonna be different.  It has a library, art, and that is all that we got to see and the last thing we saw is music."
Me:"So you're talking about your fieldtrip to 1st grade."
EK:"Right. And um, we saw Super Girl."
Me:"Who is Super Girl?"
EK:"A woman on a cartoon.  She's a superhero. She's American girl."
Me:"What makes her super?"
EK:"She has a mask and a cape and a superhero shirt with a star on it and superhero pants."
Me:"Could I be her?"
EK:"Noooo.  You don't even know her."
Me:"So she has a super outfit but what makes her super?"
EK:"That was what makes her super.  Who are you sending this to?"
Me:"I was going to put it on my blog."
EK:"Afterwards can you read it to me?"
Me:"Yeah. You be thinking about what you want to tell me about kindergarten."
EK:"That was all.We made some jellyfish.  Can I get to coloring?"
Me:"Let's finish up. Give me...sit down...one..."
EK: "Why am I gonna do another test?"
Me:"Give me one word to describe kindergarten."
EK:"What does descibe mean?  What does dehydrate mean?"
Me:"You tell me."
EK:"I don't know."
Me:"It's when you don't drink enough and your body runs out of fluid.  What were you telling me about Texas earlier?"
EK:"That it was hot."
Me:"Why's it hot?"
EK:"Because they live near the desert. There's tumbleweeds.  Um...there is ugly lookin' armadillos for sure.  You always have to dehydrate.  It means drink plenty of water."
Me:"And if you walked into the desert?You said earlier that you would run into Africa, then New York..."
EK:"Egypt comes after New York City."
Me:"And?"
EK:"(Giggling with nostrils flaring) ... blah blah blah blah blah..."
Me:"You are silly."

Well there wasn't much to that.  I can be assured that she gets her sense of geography from me.


No comments: