Monday, August 23, 2010

Little Man turns 2





Today is Emmett's birthday. My actual due date was the day after Ellie Kate's birthday, but the storm, Faye, came thru and the Little Guy made his grand appearance a week early. There's nothing like a pedicure to get the contractions started. He was born at 11:17 p.m. as the tornado sirens sounded in the background. Meme and Poppa brought big sister, Ellie Kate in her jammies with her bink bink to meet her new little brother. She walked in the room, looked at me and said,"Mama, you done?"
Thankfully, she was instantly smitten with the Little Fella and I can guarantee that the feeling is mutual. No one can make Emmett laugh like his big sister. However, he saves most of his affection for his mommy. In the mornings when Emmett wakes up, I sit him in the rocking chair with his cup of milk. I usually lay down on the couch. At some point he will almost always make his way across the room to where I am. He will wait for me to pick him up and then we get to snuggle on the couch. I can think of no better way to start my day.
Emmett isn't very verbal or maybe it's just that English is his second language. He jabbers and jabbers and can be quite serious about what he's trying to say, but as far as words we can understand, well that part of his vocabulary is limited. He still loves cars, trucks, and anything else with wheels. He got a little fire engine vehicle for his birthday last year and I wish I knew just how many miles he's put on it riding in circles around the kitchen.

Emmett enjoys a good game of chase and really likes for his Daddy to run up and down the hall with him. He prefers to be outdoors and will pitch an all out fit when being brought inside. For the most part, he is a calm little guy, but when he gets mad, he gets real mad. We're talking different child, we're-in-need-of-an-exorcism kind of mad.

He hates to get a haircut which explains why currently only half of his hair has been cut. He doesn't like to have his clothes or diaper changed at all. He loves the movie Cars and the show Mickeymouse Clubhouse. When Mickey says,"We've got ears say cheers", Emmett says,"Cheers".
The boy loves his pacifiers. As of late, I've tried to limit his time with his precious pacies, but to no avail. I have walked into his room and found that he has climbed in his crib to have a paci in his mouth and another in his hand. When unable to climb in his crib, he has actually crawled underneath it to find pacifiers that I haven't seen in weeks. I don't know how we're going to curb this habit.

Another thing that he loves is naptime and bedtime. He is often giddy when I go to lay him down. He leans way back all the while giggling with excitement. I kiss those little cheeks over and over and then we say his verses, Show me your ways, O Lord, guide me in Your truth and teach me. Psalm 25:4-5. Ellie Kate likes to stand on a stool and cover him up and then say,"Good night Little Man with a plan, Boogie." At this point he is surrounded with a complete stash of pacifiers and snuggling his blanket under his chin. Ross says,"I love you, Champ", and after making sure his noise maker is simulating a thunderstorm, we exit his room. It really is a sweet time.

He gives me sweet and often loud sugars and nosie nosies. He also still thinks that Bunny's name is 'Awww Weee'. He is especially fond of my Dad, which he calls Doc. Emmett's perfect day would involve riding beside Pocca Doc on the mule. When he thinks he is about to go outside, he repeats over and over,"Bye, see ya. Bye, see ya."

So that's an update on our two-year-old Little Man. I think I'm gonna have to eat that blonde-haired, blue-eyed little guy 'awl up', as his sister would say.




5 comments:

Christen said...

Happy Birthday Emmett!
Luke loves Cars and Mickey Mouse Clubhouse too, I think they'd be great pals if we lived closer to you guys!

W. Ross Kilpatrick said...

Great post sweetie! He is truly a blessing!...and, a complete mess! He has a wonderful, beautiful mother too!

Charisse Murphy said...

O Amy, I just love this post! Happy Birthday Little Emmett! Those little boys sure know how to get so close to our hearts, don't they? As I read your posts, All I could think about is how truly blessed you are (and me also) to be able to enjoy all those sweet little moments with your kids. There is nothing in the world that could take the place of it, nothing at all! And I see that you, too, love being a mommy, like I do so much! Breathe in every moment of it...
Sincerely, Charisse

The Parrish's said...

This is SO sweet!

Anonymous said...

oh my goodness he's so cute!! love that half-haircut. priceless.